Overview of US Student visa

Overview of US Student visa

Planning to pursue higher studies in the US? A very good decision. We all know that the US has some of the best universities. But if you want to go to the US for studying then you first have to get the student visa the USA.

Enquiry Now

What type of student visa do you need to apply?

In the US there are 2 categories of US Student visa. One is the F visa and the second is the M visa. You may be wondering which visa you must apply for. This will depend on which course you want to pursue and the type of school that you plan to visit.

You have to apply for the F visa if you want to attend:

  • University or college
  • High School
  • Private elementary school
  • Seminary
  • Conservatory
  • Another academic institution, including a language training program

You have to apply for the M visa if you want to pursue:

  • Vocational or other recognized nonacademic institution, other than a language training program

Can students use a visitor visa or the visa waiver program for studying in the USA?

No, you cannot make use of a visitor visa or the visa waiver program to enter the US to pursue studies. You can only take up recreational studies and not any other course with the visa waiver program. You may also be able to use the visitor visa for a short term recreational course.

But studies for US degrees and certificates can never be pursued using the visa waiver program or the visitor visa. For this type of study, the student has to get the F or M visa (as applicable) and only then he can enter the US and pursue the course.

The importance of acceptance by a SEVP Approved School:

  • The first step that the student has to take is to apply to SEVP-approved school in the United States.
  • Once the application for enrollment is accepted then you have to apply for the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS)
  • Next, you have to make the payment for the SEVIS I-901 fee
  • Now the SEVP-approved school will issue Form I-20 to the applicant. Once the applicant gets this form then the applicant has to register in SEVIS.
  • Now the student can apply for the F or M visa at the US consulate or the US embassy.
  • At the time of the visa interview, the applicant has to give the Form I-20 to the consular officer.
  • In the case the applicant’s spouse or children also intend to stay in the US along with the applicant when the applicant is pursuing the course in the USA then they too have to enroll in SEVIS, obtain individual Form I-20s from the SEVP-approved school, and apply for a visa. But they do not have to pay the SEVIS fees.

How to apply for the Study Visa for the US?

  • First of all, you need to complete the non-immigrant visa application form. That is, you need to complete the Form DS-160. You have to complete the application online and then you need to submit the application form.
  • After submission of the Form DS -160, you will get a confirmation page. Make sure that you take a print out of this confirmation page and you need to bring it along with you at the time of the interview.
  • You will also have to submit your photograph at the time of submitting the application form. The photograph has to be as per the specifications and format that are mentioned in the photograph requirements.
  • Next, for the US Study Visa, you have to schedule the interview at the US embassy or US consulate. A visa interview is a must, however, there can be some exceptions. For the applicants who are in the age group of 14 to 79 years, the visa interview is normally mandatory. However, there may be some exceptions in the case of renewals. For applicants who are 13 years or younger or who are 80 years or more in age normally, a visa interview will not be required.
  • Now before the interview, you have to make sure that you pay the visa fees. Please note that the visa fee is non-refundable. If the visa is approved then the visa issuance fees will also have to be paid by the applicant.

The documents required for USA Study visa:

Make sure that you have all the below-mentioned documents:

  • A valid passport is a must
  • The confirmation page of the non-immigrant visa application that is Form DS-160
  • The application fee payment receipt
  • We have mentioned that you have to upload the photo when you are filling the application form. But in case the photo upload fails then you have to make sure that you bring a printed photo in the required format.
  • Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (F-1) Student Status-For Academic and Language Students, Form I-20 or Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant (M-1) Student Status for Vocational Students, Form I-20. It must be noted that the school with which the student has enrolled will issue the Form I-20. The form will be sent once the information of the applicant has been entered into the SEVIS database. Please note that the Form I-20 has to be signed by the school office as well as by the applicant.

Additional Documents:

Sometimes at the time of the interview, the consular officer may request certain additional documents. These documents are as follows:

  • Transcripts, diplomas, degrees, or certificates from schools attended by the applicant
  • Standardized test scores required by the U.S. school with which the applicant has enrolled.
  • The applicant will also be asked to submit the proof of funds to show how the applicant will pay for the course fees and how he will meet the travel expenses and the expenses of living in the USA.
  • The applicant will also have to submit proofs to show that he will leave the country on the completion of his course. The applicant has to show that he has enough reasons to return to his home country on the completion of his studies.

A few details about the visa interview:

  • At the time of the interview, the applicant has to prove to the officer that the applicant is qualified to attend the course in the US. He needs to show that he is qualified to get the study visa.
  • Digital fingerprint scans are also taken at the time of the interview.

Regarding the issuance of visas for students:

  • In the case of new students, the visa may be issued 120 days in advance of the start date of the course. However, it must be noted that the student can enter the US with the visa only 30 days before the start date of the course study.
  • In the case of continuing students, the visa may be issued at any time as long as the student is enrolled in SEVP-approved school or institution and SEVIS.

Students who have the F visa must leave the US within 60 days after the program end date that is mentioned in the Form I-20.

Yes, the entire visa procedure can be a stressful thing. But you have nothing to worry about if you approach the right experts. Visa and immigration experts will be able to provide you with all the guidance that you need.

The US authorities are very strict when it comes to visa issuance. The applicant has to make sure that he completes all the formalities properly. A single mistake can lead to rejection of the application and the career of the student can be at stake. So, the applicant must make sure that they complete all the formalities correctly.

For more details about the visa contact IRA immigration:

  • Do you find the entire visa application procedure complicated and confusing? Do not worry. We at IRA immigration are there to provide you with all the assistance. We have one of the most efficient and professional teams of visa consultants who will provide all the assistance that you need.
  • Tell our experts about the reason for which you want to travel to the US. Tell them about the course that you intend to pursue and the school that you wish to enrol to.
  • Our experts will review your profile and then provide all the assistance that you need for applying for the student visa. They will also tell you about the documents that you need to submit.

We have successfully helped many students to apply for the student visa USA. If you too want to apply for this visa then just connect with us at the earliest. We have our corporate office in Janakpuri in Delhi and we have our branch office in Nehru Place in Delhi. At both these places, we have experts who can provide the best assistance for a student visa for the United States of America. Whether you are a new student or a continuing student who has questions about visa renewal you can approach us. You can call us or you may walk into our office for more details.

Call Now Button