Details about IELTS Band Score Requirements
If you want to work and settle down in a country like Canada then it is mandatory to have proficiency in the English language. For this, the candidate will have to appear for a test that will determine then expertise the candidate has in English language. The candidate has to appear for the International English Language Testing System or IELTS test. The IELTS band score will matter in a big way in the selection of the candidates for immigration.
Important features of IELTS:
- In this test, the candidate’s ability to listen, read, write and speak are tested.
- In the speaking module, the candidate has to appear for an interview. This interview is recorded for future reference.
- The test materials consist of different accents and writing styles
- Every section of the test has band scores. The band scale is from 0 to 9. Here 0 stands for “candidate need not attempt” and 9 stands for an expert user.
Information about the different modules:
- Before we check the ielts band score requirement for different countries let us check the details about the different modules:
- The duration of the test is 2 hours and 45 minutes. There are 4 parts of the test. The listening test is of 30 minutes, reading is of 60 minutes, writing is 60 minutes and speaking is of 14 minutes.
- The reading and writing test for academic and general training version is different but the listening and speaking test is the same.
- The listening module has 4 sections and each section has 10 questions. Reading test will have 3 sections. In the writing test the candidate has to complete 2 tasks and in speaking there is an interview that the candidate has to attend.
The IELTS scoring pattern:
The average of the scores that the candidate has received in each module is calculated and this is rounded off. There are 9 bands.
- 9 stands for expert user
- 8 stands for very good user
- 7 stands for good user
- 6 stands for competent user
- 5 stands for modest user
- 4 stands for limited user
- 3 stands for extremely limited user
- 2 stands for intermittent user
- 1 stands for non-user
- 0 stands for did not attempt
IELTS band score required for different countries:
- First let us consider the ielts band score requirement for Canada. In case of Canada, the minimum requirement is 6.0. The candidate has to get minimum of 6.0 score in each module. In the case of Australia, it is 6.0 and the candidate must not have a score below 5.5.
- The ielts band score required for different countries is different. The candidate has to concentrate on getting higher scores. When the candidate is applying for a visa category that follows the point system then the high test scores will be an added advantage.
- For example, if the candidate is applying for a visa category that falls under the express entry system then a higher IELTS score will help the candidate more points. More points will help the candidate get better ranking in the express entry pool. Better ranking will increase the chances of selection of the candidate.
Not easy to get high scores in IELTS test:
If you thought that it was easy to get a high score in IELTS exam then it means that you have not attempted the exam before. It is very difficult to get a good score in this exam. You have to make sure that you prepare well for this exam. It is also important that you have fair idea about the exam schedule if you do not want to miss out on appearing for the exams.
Information about Canadian Language Benchmark or CLB:
CLB is the standard that is used to measuring the English language proficiency of an adult foreign candidate who aspires to migrate to Canada. This scale is used to judge the English communication ability of individuals who use this language as their second language. There are 12 benchmarks. These are divided into 3 stages. These stages are beginner, intermediate and advanced. Every stage will have 4 levels. These levels are initial, developing, adequate and advanced. These are the benchmarks for speaking, listening, reading, and writing skills.
Equivalencies between the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLBs) (for English), the Niveaux de compétence linguistique canadiens (for French), and the results of language tests from designated testing organizations have been established and are summarized in the following tables.
Canadian English Language Proficiency Index Program (CELPIP) – General Test score equivalency chart
International English Language Testing System (IELTS) – General Training – Test score equivalency chart
The importance of IELTS scores:
Universities in Canada, Australia etc rely on these test results. The international student must submit the test scores if he or she wants to get admission into certain universities. Even in the case of skilled workers who want to work in these countries, it is of utmost importance that they have proficiency in the English language. A person who wants to reside in countries like Canada and Australia must be well versed with the English language.
Check with IRA immigration for all the details:
If you have no idea about how to appear for the IELTS exam then you need to contact us. We have been providing guidance in visa and immigration formalities from past many years. Our experts are aware of the importance of the IELTS exam. So they make sure that they answer all the queries that the aspirants have about this test.
If you want to get the information about the IELTS band score then you must get in touch with our immigration experts. Our trained and knowledgeable experts will provide all the required information. Get in touch with us today!